Vision-ing is easy AND hard
Vision-ing is easy AND hard.
If you think vision-ing is all about "dreaming" and "planning", it's EASY.
But if you think vision-ing is about:
• Breaking through self-imposed limitations
• Challenging your comfort zone
• Facing your fears
• Making tough decisions
… then it's HARD.
"Having a vision" is about "taking action". It's about putting in the work that's often isn't glamorous, comfortable, or easy (which is like all the time.)
Some people may say that "hard" is a bad thing. But I believe that anything worth pursuing is going to require effort. And if you're not willing to put in the effort, your vision is nothing more than a pipe dream.
Visionary = Doer
Here is a process that I've found helpful when it comes to vision-ing:
1. Define what success looks like for your team:
• What are the goals you want to achieve?
• What values do you want to uphold?
• What standards do you want to set?
2. Share your vision with your team:
• Explain why these goals, values, and standards are essential.
• Describe how achieving them will make everyone's lives better.
• Share your excitement for what you're building together.
3. Help your team see the path to success:
• Break down the goals into smaller, achievable steps.
• Make sure everyone understands their role in achieving the vision.
• Provide the resources and support they need to succeed.
4. Celebrate progress along the way:
• Congratulate your team on every small victory.
• Show them how they're getting closer to the ultimate goal.
• Thank them for their hard work and dedication.
That's not enough by any means. But it's a start. So if you're feeling stuck, or if you're not sure how to get started, I hope this helps.
Until next time,